Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10616656 - 08/22/24 07:08 AM Used car buying (process) help ...
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
So, newbie here ...

We're in the market for a kid-hauler of some sort, SUV that's 5-person 90% of the time, with an 'emergency' jump-seat/7-passenger about ~5-6 times/yr. No minivans even though I think it's a good idea.

Couple of variables here:
- Wife's lease coming up. New vehicle needs to be a lease (write-off)
- Trading in my TLX is an option. (paid off) -- i.e. I pick up a used or new, but bigger than TLX.
- We need 2 vehicles. At least 1 of them should be '6+ seating'
- Good time to switch up one of the vehicles to EV; wife drives daily.

1) Anyone use Clutch? Is it 'as simple' as it looks re: selling a vehicle?
- Do you get paid HST for the value of the vehicle?
- Wife said something something about trading in the TLX cuz it lowers the amount of HST, which, doesn't make sense. (i.e. do 1 transaction vs Clutch + buy (new/used))

2) Safety / inspection?
- Safety is simply ~$200 mechanic inspection, a standard checklist (i.e. mm depth on tires, % remaining on brake pads, etc?), and govt form?
- If a used-car dealer is charging $700-1000 for this shit, can you say no and DIY? What are the pros/cons of saying no? (If saying no, would the vehicle be sold 'as-is'????)

3) Licensing
- is that simply working out the paperwork to get plates? Do used-car dealers overcharge you whereas you can DIY? (I'm getting quoted as $250 to get this done.)

4) Independent inspection
- I'd assume this would be a problem whether it's used-car dealer or private. i.e. no one wants to waste time driving the vehicle to a mechanic, etc... Unless you can find a 'mobile' mechanic? And even then, the seller might not want to open the hood/etc cuz there are other less-picky sellers?

Scanning thru AutoTrader/etc, we're seeing smaller used-car dealers, private sales, etc... so this is all new to us.

We're eyeballing Tesla Y Long-Range 7-seaters, and ... slim pickings. Plus the fact Tesla themselves do not sell used. I've even suggested wife to pick up a Demo out in QC or even NS, she said fuck no.

Tesla has discontinued Y 7-seaters in Canada, rumours are that China Gigafactory are tooled for the 5-seater + lack of demand in Canada. US continues to have 7-seaters out of Fremont, but Tesla Canada ain't importing them here.

Edited by furball (08/22/24 07:26 AM)

#10616881 - 08/22/24 12:44 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: furball]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
1) Not familiar with Clutch. The comment of lower HST I believe has to do with when you trade in a vehicle to the dealer it will lower the cost of the new vehicle and then HST will be charged on the decreased cost and not on the original cost of the vehicle

2) I believe you need to be a licensed technician approved to perform vehicle safety inspections (despite how simple they may be). Even if its not the case, I would advise against doing it on your own. The dealer will probably absolve themselves of any issues and sell the car as-is. I know $700-$1000 is a scam but perhaps you can negotiate and reduce this cost.

3) This cost should be called out. Usually the dealer doesn't charge much above the actual cost of the plates and sticker. If it is substantially more, negotiate it down.

4) I have had good luck with buying private and the seller being open to getting the car inspected, but your experience will vary. In my opinion if a smaller dealer does not allow you to get the car inspected, walk away.

Also I would stay away from used dealers on Lawrence between DVP and Kennedy (maybe even further east) and also any dealer in an 8 km radius of Dufferin & Finch

#10616948 - 08/22/24 02:05 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
dude sounds like your ready to go lease a new mdx.

1) you're going to a dealership.

2) dealership is doing that for you, otherwise you're going to have to tow the car to your inspection place, get a safety, then take all that shit to the MTO yourself. unless you're buying from habibi auto sales.

3) dealership. fixed cost.

4) see 2

you're wife is right in the fact that when you trade in the tlx, what they give you for the car and you put toward the lease is no tax. so lets say they give you 20k for the tlx and you put that toward the mdx at $100k, you pay tax on 80k for the mdx.

hopefully finance rate doesn't bend you over dry. you're also eligible for -1% loyalty if you financed or leased the tlx through honda finance and that happens every time you lease or finance another acura, i was at 0.01% due to loyalty on my current tlx.

Edited by titty sprinkles (08/22/24 02:08 PM)

#10617188 - 08/22/24 10:24 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: titty sprinkles]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Dude did you even bother talking to the accountant? EV is the only way to go for business write off IMO. For 2024 CCA is $61,000 right off the bat.

Also if this is for business write off why would you trade in your personal vehicle? Makes no sense... or dollars in this case.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#10618223 - 08/26/24 07:20 AM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: Hatorade]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

It's 2 scenarios in 1 ...

a) Wife needs lease for the corp. End of story.

b) This brings up 2 considerations:
- EV for her commute / cost savings
- Whether she gets the 7-seater, or me.
- Possible good time to also chuck my (personal-owned paid-off) TLX (wife hates the rear-seat size, and how low it is. Plus I'm having bubble rust on the trunk lip; found out it was in an accident before I bought it.)

Original plan was Tesla Model Y 7-seater lease for wife. Then Elon decided to stop selling the 7-seater. Hence why we started thinking about used Y 7-seaters for me, so she can go 5-seater gas/hybrid SUV.

(We could wait it out for the Tesla Y 7-seater, but then she needs something to tie her over for the ~6-9 months until that shit comes to market, if it even comes to market.)

Now, with this new 100% tariff on all EVs from China, somehow that also hits Tesla????? I'm also confused whether that's a 100% tariff, whether it's a lower % (I've read 9% for Tesla), and/or whether there's a rebate for that tariff......

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
Dude did you even bother talking to the accountant? EV is the only way to go for business write off IMO. For 2024 CCA is $61,000 right off the bat.

Also if this is for business write off why would you trade in your personal vehicle? Makes no sense... or dollars in this case.

Edited by furball (08/26/24 07:22 AM)

#10618228 - 08/26/24 07:25 AM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: titty sprinkles]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

So I'm guessing then .... if I were to do a private vehicle purchase.....

For Safety, either the seller includes it, or I have to tow it to an inspection place after purchase? (There has to be a grace period?)

For licensing, I should be able to pick up temp plates somehow? (Would I need to get the safety first?)

It can't be this complicated for private sales....

Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles

2) dealership is doing that for you, otherwise you're going to have to tow the car to your inspection place, get a safety, then take all that shit to the MTO yourself. unless you're buying from habibi auto sales.

Edited by furball (08/26/24 02:35 PM)

#10618431 - 08/26/24 01:13 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: furball]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: furball

Its not, private sales are easy

For Safety, either the seller includes it, or I have to tow it to an inspection place after purchase? (There has to be a grade period?)

For licensing, I should be able to pick up temp plates somehow? (Would I need to get the safety first?)

I dont believe there is a grace period. You can buy a car and store it in your garage for years before you're ready to put it on the road. In other words you dont need to get the safety within x days of purchasing the vehicle. I believe temp plates are good for 10 days. Or if you're feeling adventurous just slap your own plates on it to drive it to get safety. OR the best option is to have the seller provide the safety.

#10619426 - 08/28/24 08:04 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: furball]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
So I'm guessing then .... if I were to do a private vehicle purchase.....

For Safety, either the seller includes it, or I have to tow it to an inspection place after purchase? (There has to be a grace period?)

Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles

If the seller is selling the car as AS-IS then the safety and use to be etest. you can buy the car from them, take the bill of sale, ownership etc to the MTO and pay the taxes, register the car in your name, and get a temp sticker for your plates i think it's good for 14 days? that gives you the time to go to a mechanic for a safety.

if the seller is selling the car certified and e-tested, then it's on them to get it done, you take the safety, bill of sale, ownership, insurance, UVIP package to the MTO and register it in your name and get your plates.

but short form, you don't need a safety in order to get a temp plate.

edit: i'm wrong the temp sticker is good for 10 days

https://www.ontario.ca/page/temporary-licence-plate-sticker#section-1

Edited by titty sprinkles (08/28/24 08:07 PM)

#10619540 - 08/29/24 06:49 AM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: titty sprinkles]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Wife's been humming and hawing about which vehicle to lease ... She hates the sheer number of options available. And so now she's waiting it out for 'whatever is on the floor/boat' deal from Benz .... i.e. she's looking at one of the SUVs that's got a terrible 3rd row (as useful as Y's 3rd type deal) ... Which, is kinda what we're looking for; something we'll use ~5-6 times/yr.

With the new Canadian tariffs on Chinese EV (hopefully) impacting Tesla, and hopefully the demand for Y7's are sufficient to make Y7's available in Canada... we're hoping for that scenario as well (for me to trade in the TLX for a new Tesla Y 7 seater refresh)

If not, I'll still have to go down this weird rabbit hole of wtf DIY used-car trade-in thing....

Appreciate everyone's info, thanks.

Edited by furball (08/29/24 06:51 AM)

#10620986 - 09/01/24 08:33 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: furball]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

The tariff will not impact Tesla in Canada. It's a simple switch to Fremont/Austin supplied vehicles.

Wait times will be impacted. Anyway 3rd row in SUV's are in general just shit. Even in the X5 it's just tolerable for a short distance for an adult passenger. X7 still isn't that great.

Model Y 7 seater is a joke. The 3rd row is only good for kids or a 5ft adult.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#10621018 - 09/02/24 08:45 AM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: Hatorade]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Client just got went through this debacle of 3rd row, looked at X7, Benz, Mazda, CX 9, settled on Lexus TX or whatever it's called. Put order in, toyota safety recall, stopped sales, needed car in pinch bought Honda Pilot, said for a 3rd row it's one of the better ones.
#10621175 - 09/02/24 07:35 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: Risky Business]
A2B-Lexus Online   can
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Raptors Land
I am looking at an used van. Sometimes we drive the MIL and my wife is stuck in the middle of 2 car seats in an RDX. No fun. New vans are stupid money but kids enjoy it over a bigger suv so van it is.

My 2015 Q3 with 75000 kms is on the trading block. One dealer is offering me $11k for the Q3 and I am going to try another dealer when i see the right vehicle. Ideally I get 13k or so since it is pretty low kms.

Trying to decide between a 2015+ Sienna or a 2018+ Honda Odyssey. Thought about a prior style Odyssey as well but those don't seem to hold up as well rust wise as a Sienna I see a few more Siennas that go 300K plus (some 700k lol).

I missed out on a 2020 Sienna SE with 200,000 kms for $26k. I don't drive a lot so high kms don't bother me.

Going to keep an eye out for the best van out there. As i am searching, I am noticing a lot of used cars have no name tires. I guess it is par for the course for vans under $30k these days.

I rather pay more for a van with new tires vs the cheapest price and having to pony up to change up the tires myself.

#10621207 - 09/03/24 04:15 AM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: A2B-Lexus]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I like the Sienna
#10621373 - 09/03/24 12:38 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: Risky Business]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

re: 3rd-row shitness...

I'm the midget that gets to squeeze into the 3rd row of the XC90 when we need that extra jump seat...

I dunno if it's always the case, or if maybe I was looking on my phone... felt like puking on 2 separate trips; only thing I could think of was the fact the seat is directly above rear suspension ...

#10621408 - 09/03/24 01:34 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: furball]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

why are you sitting in the third row?
#10621557 - 09/03/24 09:41 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: Risky Business]
A2B-Lexus Online   can
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
I like the Sienna

The new one or the prior Gen? I am OK with the prior Gen as the new ones are all hybrid. I still want to sell it for some money after I am done with it. With hybrid ones, it may be worth less with a tired battery.

#10621594 - 09/04/24 06:55 AM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: Risky Business]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

There are times we need more than 5 seats... Wife gets sick if she's squished in the third row, the 2 existing car seats are locked into the second, so ... not many options beside strapping my ass to the roof.

why are you sitting in the third row?

#10622126 - 09/05/24 07:36 AM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: furball]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

There are times we need more than 5 seats... Wife gets sick if she's squished in the third row, the 2 existing car seats are locked into the second, so ... not many options beside strapping my ass to the roof.

I assumed you'd be the one driving

#10622612 - 09/05/24 06:14 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: A2B-Lexus]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: A2B-Lexus
I like the Sienna

The new one or the prior Gen? I am OK with the prior Gen as the new ones are all hybrid. I still want to sell it for some money after I am done with it. With hybrid ones, it may be worth less with a tired battery.

I like both gens, but the hybrid ones are likely going to retain value better. Better tech, better gas mileage, and toyota legendary reliability on their hybrid drivetrains. I'd probably push for the new one, but ultimately would buy the one where I get the most value for the money (which might be the older gen).

#10622677 - 09/05/24 08:37 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: A2B-Lexus]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: A2B-Lexus
I am looking at an used van. Sometimes we drive the MIL and my wife is stuck in the middle of 2 car seats in an RDX. No fun. New vans are stupid money but kids enjoy it over a bigger suv so van it is.

My 2015 Q3 with 75000 kms is on the trading block. One dealer is offering me $11k for the Q3 and I am going to try another dealer when i see the right vehicle. Ideally I get 13k or so since it is pretty low kms.

Trying to decide between a 2015+ Sienna or a 2018+ Honda Odyssey. Thought about a prior style Odyssey as well but those don't seem to hold up as well rust wise as a Sienna I see a few more Siennas that go 300K plus (some 700k lol).

I missed out on a 2020 Sienna SE with 200,000 kms for $26k. I don't drive a lot so high kms don't bother me.

Going to keep an eye out for the best van out there. As i am searching, I am noticing a lot of used cars have no name tires. I guess it is par for the course for vans under $30k these days.

I rather pay more for a van with new tires vs the cheapest price and having to pony up to change up the tires myself.

There's a reason why all the Chinese contractors and Chinese Ubers love the last gen Sienna. Those things are pretty much bullet proof. Forget the older Odysseys. Honda and their shit VCM. Just read up on this POS and it will steer you away.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#10622803 - 09/06/24 09:26 AM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: Hatorade]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

For a contractor to use a new hybrid sienna, that's a boss move right there! Has to be the best vehicle, awd too I think.

I always wanted to do a Sienna overland build, put it on some bigger wheels/small lift, etc. Admittedly I almost bought my neighbour's Sienna last year, I told him what I wanted to do with it and he talked me out of it said I am crazy.

#10623220 - 09/07/24 12:50 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

For a contractor to use a new hybrid sienna, that's a boss move right there! Has to be the best vehicle, awd too I think.

I always wanted to do a Sienna overland build, put it on some bigger wheels/small lift, etc. Admittedly I almost bought my neighbour's Sienna last year, I told him what I wanted to do with it and he talked me out of it said I am crazy.

I said last gen. not the current one LOL

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#10623366 - 09/07/24 09:54 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: Hatorade]
A2B-Lexus Online   can
Post Master Supreme

I am aiming for a 2017 -2020 since it has an upgraded engine. They are getting bought up quick. Was supposed to test one but sold before I could get there. The sales guy was like just put a deposit down to not miss out. Lol. I didn't do that.

A hybrid would be nice but I rather throw that in my mortgage.

#10624545 - 09/10/24 12:41 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: A2B-Lexus]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Latest car plans for the Furball Famiry:
- Wife's gonna lease a 5-seater 23 / 24 Benz GLB or GLC by Nov 2024
- Slight possibility wife could get a BMW X5 ...
- I sit and rot with my TLX until such time a 2025 Tesla Juniper Y-7 (refreshed Y with 7-seats) comes to fruition in Canada, if it ever does. If so, we buy outright with TLX trade-in. If not, no alternative plans.

#10627430 - 09/17/24 12:55 PM Re: Used car buying (process) help ... [Re: furball]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Latest car plans for the Furball Famiry:
- Wife's gonna lease a 5-seater 23 / 24 Benz GLB or GLC by Nov 2024
- Slight possibility wife could get a BMW X5 ...
- I sit and rot with my TLX until such time a 2025 Tesla Juniper Y-7 (refreshed Y with 7-seats) comes to fruition in Canada, if it ever does. If so, we buy outright with TLX trade-in. If not, no alternative plans.

Don't hold your breath for a 7 seater coming back. Was a poor seller.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads