Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10582169 - 05/30/24 09:15 PM Fence shared with neighbour
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
Hey guys, was wondering if I could get your opinion on the subject fences shared with your neighbour. Mine is getting his done and asked if I want to split the cost of the one side between us (about $1700).

The person doing the install is another neighbour two houses down from me and I think he does it as a side business although he provided a quote on a business type letterhead (no online presence or reviews when company name googled). When I asked what type of wood he was going to use (maple, pine, etc) he just said “deck wood”.

My wife doesn’t think we should chip in because his lack of knowledge of the type of wood being used and unknown workmanship if anything goes wrong after the fact. Also if something does go wrong in the future, more money would have to be spent in fixing it where if a legit business installed it it would’ve be done right from the beginning.

How would you guys go about this? Or would you chip in?

Do you think this would cause “bad blood” between us?

Thanks

#10582268 - 05/31/24 07:48 AM Re: Fence shared with neighbour [Re: civic13]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Tell your neighbour you would be happy to chip in but would prefer a professional company to due the work for any possible issues that may arrise in the future and would like some type of warranty and to have a say on the selection of wood. Look for a company yourself, half the cost will more than likely still be less than the full cost of them paying the 1700 if they went in it on their own.

Now if the guy two houses down is doing your neighbours whole surrounding fence then that may add complications to the situation but just let your concerns be known regardless and work from there.

When we did our fence, neighbour on one side chipped in for half and we removed the chainlink between us for the new fence. The neighbour on the other side did not want to take part so we put up the fence on our side and left him with the chainlink. No issues between us and him.

#10582490 - 05/31/24 01:46 PM Re: Fence shared with neighbour [Re: Big Tasty]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Fences aren't rocket science. Biggest thing is getting the post holes below the frost line so you're not worried about heave. The fence boards are the easy part.

I'd either want cedar or pressure treated for the posts going into the ground. They'll last the longest.

#10582526 - 05/31/24 03:17 PM Re: Fence shared with neighbour [Re: LNXGUY]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Thanks for your feedback guys. Pretty much other ppl I've talked to said the same. Gonna get some other quotes from reputable places and if the neighbor is set on this guy doing it then I'll make sure to indicate that I want the posts below the frost line.
#10582750 - 06/01/24 08:30 AM Re: Fence shared with neighbour [Re: civic13]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Get another quote to compare prices and ask to see the neighbour's prior work. Don't shit where you eat and overcomplicate the whole thing, like LNXGUY said, installing fencing is very basic work, there is no real skill required, just grunt work and some levels. If you can give the work to a neighbour who does it for a competitive price he is also likely to take more care of that work given that he is a neighbour and has to live with the complaints if he does a shit job. If he comes off like a hack, then I understand the hesitation, but if it's you just being skeptical for the sake of being skeptical then you are creating an issue out of nothing.
#10582785 - 06/01/24 10:09 AM Re: Fence shared with neighbour [Re: Risky Business]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
...but if it's you just being skeptical for the sake of being skeptical then you are creating an issue out of nothing.

Lol...it's my wife

#10583285 - 06/03/24 01:34 PM Re: Fence shared with neighbour [Re: civic13]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
We're currently doing this right now, with 2 other neighbours.

- We are paying the most, as we're replacing ~50% of our fence
- Neighbour A is sharing half of the cost of 100ft , plus they have additional work on the other sides
- Neighbour B has a tiny amount, half the cost of 50ft.
- Been a bitch trying to coordinate things and shit, with A's husband coming in with upgrades (to 6x6), and the wife coming in with 'alternating boards' and shit

Installer is A's contractor's friend; firefighter moonlighting as a fence installer. Cheaper quote, and now we know why; he's doing all the work himself, save for contracting out post digging.

Paperwork is meh, and now we have of these different quotes and shit.

But yeah, don't shit where you live.

We got 3 quotes, with Neighbour B just along for the ride; we're just happy B's willing to even chip in; old retiree, doesn't really care for the fence.

#10583341 - 06/03/24 04:32 PM Re: Fence shared with neighbour [Re: furball]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Is the installer guaranteeing anthing?
#10583345 - 06/03/24 04:51 PM Re: Fence shared with neighbour [Re: civic13]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Personally, I'd get someone to do the post holes and I'd do the rest

Also make sure they get locates done.

#10585187 - 06/08/24 07:00 AM Re: Fence shared with neighbour [Re: LNXGUY]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
The "deck wood" response is concerning. Either he thinks you're too stupid to know about different wood types, or he's too stupid and doesn't know the answer. Either way, sounds like the start of a sketchy agreement. I've heard too many stories about contracting gone wrong. Companies pop-up, take a bunch of deposits, do half-assed work, then dissolve once the complainants start rolling in. Then they start a new business and repeat. Prior work done and references might buy you some peace of mind.

I agree with LNXGUY; get a pro to put up the posts, the rest is a weekend or two of labour you can do yourself.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads